I was concerned not so much about if they were going to bring Buffy back (because it's not much of a show without the title character), but about how they would bring her back. I really didn't want some cheesy time paradox, as Star Trek is often wont to do, or have her come out of the shower a la Patrick Duffy. The premiere really didn't disappoint. I must say, I think that the show was classic Buffy. There were funny parts (Grrrr! Arrrgh!), the obigatory demons, and lesbian wiccas doing that crazy stuff that lesbian wiccas do.
But onto what I really think: The "bringing her back" scene was really well done. I'm glad it wasn't just a flash-in-the-pan kind of spell...that would have cheapened the whole deal and made people wonder why this sort of thing doesn't happen all the time. The destruction of the last urn of Osiris has pretty much prevented them from ever writing this into the story again. Snakes coming out of mouths and spontaneous arm slicing let you know that you're dealing with some serious shit.
Let's talk about the characters:
- Giles - He obviously wants to go back to doing taster's choice commercials because he's now only listed as a "Special Guest Star." Oh well. I liked Giles.
- Willow - Kick ass. What else is there to say. She looks as hot in crazy wiccan robes as she does in a band camp t-shirt. If she's good enough to perform a ressurection (pretty much the mack daddy of all spells) then she's becoming one DAMN powerful witch.
- Tara - Anybody else think that she lost weight and Xander found it? She seems to be coming into her own as a witch as well.
- Spike - He is becoming a big wuss. One can only theorize what will happen once he finds that Buffy is alive once more. We only got to see him bust one head and that's just not enough.
- Xander and Anya - Comic relief, and occasionally, one of them will do something useful. That's it.
- Buffy - Confused as hell, but what are you gonna do? She's been dead for three months. I like how they've made her confused and unsure of herself. With the present lack of a new super-enemy, this'll give the gang something to work towards, especially with the lack of Giles